Wednesday, September 12, 2012

EATF Luncheon

Since moving to New York, tennis has become an even bigger part of my life. Perhaps because it has helped create my life here, forged friendships, provided a healthy pregnancy, and given me an opportunity to be involved in charity. Not to mention the tennis tournament that I worked on for the majority of the year.

The EATF, Eastern Adult Tennis Foundation, is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization created to bring public attention and financial support for worthy, grassroots tennis programs for adult and senior participation.

The Foundation’s mission is accomplished by:
  • Providing grant and seed monies to outstanding programs designed to increase participation in adult tennis within the USTA Eastern Section.
  • Increasing outreach to Community Tennis Associations, inner-city areas and lower income communities to make them aware that grants are available for adult, senior, and super senior tennis programs.
  • Promoting the health benefits of tennis to adults and seniors.
  • Providing grants to start up adult and senior wheelchair tennis programs and special population programs.
  • Awarding grants annually for senior and adult team assistance and community initiatives.
Immediately upon meeting my tennis friends, they introduced me to this foundation and recruited me to be on the board. Being new to the area, I wasn't a lot of help in selling raffle tickets or getting participants to attend the annual tennis & luncheon. In some ways, I felt a bit fraudulent as I was less than contributing. So when I was able to secure Gigi Fernandez, 17-time GrandSlam winner & 2-time Olympic gold medalist, as our keynote speaker, I was beyond static and proud.

Monday, Adelaide and I headed down to Mamaroneck to the Beach Point Club to attend the luncheon. It was our first time out, just mommy & baby girl! We were honored to sit at the table with Gigi and some of our tennis friends. Adelaide was dressed in her pink tutu outfit from her nana and she stole the show! The setting was gorgeous with blue skies and views of the marina waters. Lunch was divine with a flavored chicken breast atop a green salad paired with mini gourmet sandwiches and complete with baby brownies and cupcakes for dessert.


Honoring Sonia Sader, the founder of EATF and listening to Gigi's tales of her tennis career were great highlights to a wonderful afternoon out. I can't wait to tell Adelaide all about it when she gets a little bigger. And she will be so excited to know that at 11 days old she met a superstar athlete!

No comments:

Post a Comment