Friday, June 8, 2012

What to Expect When You're Expecting: A Movie Review

Kendahl gave me this book when I told her I was pregnant with the instructions to not read it but merely skim the month-by-month baby development section. Like my usual bookworm self, I started reading it on our way to Naples and stopped about two chapters in when they got to the part about how women can have chemical pregnancies, usually not ever finding out about them expect for 2% of people who take a test (positive) and then a week later take another to find a (negative) result. I then proceeded to take two more pregnancy tests after already testing positive for two in a horrible state of paranoia that I was one of the 2% experiencing a chemical pregnancy.

Fast forward 7 months in and I have yet to pick up the awful thing. However, I was anxious to see the movie with a list of fun actors/actresses and a comical twist on parenthood. So for our date night, we decided to get some tips and some laughs.

Similar to Valentine's Day & New Year's Eve where all of the characters are some how connected, WTEWYE covers the basic scenarios a woman (and man) can go through on the journey to motherhood. Noting that each journey is different. Some easy breezy (Brooklyn Decker as Skyler); others a traumatic disaster (Anna Kendrick as Rosie). But all exemplify the miracle of conception.

Touching on any symptom from nausea to varicose veins to (lack of) sex drive, the movie dignifies the fears of all women in a real way. And for the fellas, there is Dude's Group where the men embrace fatherhood while creating a circle of trust where they are not to judge one another's parenting skills. Led by Vic (Chris Rock), typical issues that father's face are communicated in a comical way.

If you're expecting or thinking of expecting, I highly recommend this flick. Gender friendly with an all-star cast, it makes for the perfect date night!



No comments:

Post a Comment