Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Thompson Christmas Bucket List: Read a Christmas Story

I got to play "Secret Reader Elf" to Adelaide's kindergarten class. When I signed up months ago, I thought the last day in November would be a great transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I found the cutest little elf accessories at Target to dress the part. Then I borrowed Santa's red velvet sack to hand out goodies to the kids. This year I opted for books that are age appropriate for each of my children's classmates. The Christmas Story is what I chose for Adelaide's class because Mrs. Gohmann is such a wonderful teacher but she is an even better Sunday school role model for them. She is godly in all that she does so I feel like the class is really getting the true understanding in the reason for the season. 




I read 4 holiday books before finishing with The Christmas Story. Then my assistant elf Adelaide helped hand out the books and candy canes to each of her friends. I wrapped the books while she addressed the name tags & stuck them on. She was so meticulous with her handwriting and craftsmanship. It was sweet to watch her beam with pride as she handed out the gifts. But the best part was hearing the children say that Christmas was about Jesus and how he saved us all!

















Of course we had many Christmas book readings at bedtime as each of the kids have a stack of holiday books on their nightstands. But I love the tradition of having a basket of books by the fireplace for them to read during the day or night as they like. Sparky delivered a few new books this year including Elf Pets and How to Catch an Elf. The kids loved these new stories as they added extra magic to the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment