Friday, August 30, 2013

Adelaide Jane Turns One: August 30, 2013

Dearest Adelaide Jane,

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy 1st Birthday dearest Adelaide Jane, Happy Birthday to you!

I am not really sure where to begin this letter. The last year has been the best year of my life. Challenging at times but the very best. In so many ways it is exactly how I imagined. In so many ways it is way more than I ever imagined. 



365 days ago on August 30, 2012 at 6:22pm my world forever changed. I opened my eyes to see your bare bottom facing me. No one would even look to see if you were a boy or a girl. So the first words out of my mouth for you to hear were "well what is it?" Haha. And with great amazement Dr. Bakas smiled and said ITS A GIRL! You won't know what that means until you become a mother one day, but I will try to explain it to you. It was the single greatest moment of my life. Mimi was in shock and began immediately crying. Daddy was grinning from ear to ear even though I know that he was secretly adding up the cost of a wedding in his head ;) And I was smiling and crying and smiling some more. I knew it all along. I just knew it. I knew that you were going to be the sweetest, most beautiful, most perfect baby girl that ever could be. 

I have enjoyed watching you every single second since that day. I have loved holding you, kissing you, hugging you, feeding you, smiling at you, crying with you. You are my best friend. You are my sense of humor. You are my heart. You are my soul. You are my everything.



You may favor your dad in the looks department but you are all me in personality. I know this because at times we butt heads which terrifies me because I know I am in for a real treat come the teenage years.   (Mimi always said payback would be owed to me). Sometimes I see the determination and stubbornness in your actions. At this age, it often drives me crazy. As well as your need to be on the go non-stop. We can both blame Mimi for this. 

Despite the head butts, I can't help but feel warm & fuzzy inside because I know how our relationship will grow. I know that you will always get me. I know that you will call me multiple times every day to vent or run through your to do list or just to hear my voice as the years go on. I know this because I do the same thing to my mom every single day. And so I will take a few years of getting on each other's nerves to have those moments for the rest of our lives.

I know that there will be times that I don't do everything right. Times when I lose my patience or my cool. Times when you are annoyed with me. Times when we won't be able to stand one another. But I want you to know that I love you more than anything in this entire world. I would give my life for you at any moment of any day. You make me a better person. You make life worth living. You are the reason that God created me: to give me the blessing of you.



Thank you for the joy that you have brought to my life. Thank you for the laughter. Thank you for the tears of happiness. Thank you for teaching me to slow down sometimes. Thank you for being you

Mommy loves you and feels incredibly lucky to have been picked to be your mommy.

I love you!


Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment