Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey: A Book Review



I know, I know. I am a little late to this book party. I was informed of this scandulous piece back in February via one of my Westchester "moms" as I refer to them. I was knee deep in baby books and couldn't quite find the time to shop for the book much less read it. Every now and again I would see the others (in the series) at an airport bookstore, but Fifty Shades was nowhere to be found. So a month ago while at Barnes & Noble, I spotted the novel and thought I'd see what all the hype was about.

I have no shame and began reading it while working out the week before our vacation. I continued it while in the car then sat poolside (with a rare break in the Collins Family Olympics) to sneek a few chapters. I finally finished it over the weekend in between the 2012 London Games highlights.

Here's my take:

Perhaps I missed the arousal effect that so many spoke about; maybe because of my own lack of experience coupled with being 9 months pregnant. I'm not sure. With that part out of the way, I took it for a twisted love story exploiting the same self-doubt and insecurties that we all face while navigating our way through a new relatationship. The battles existing between male & female brains. The bravery & honesty that comes from hiding behind a computer screen or text message. The awkward nature of becoming intimate, learning what makes the other person uncomfortable/comfortable. The ever-lingering word: MORE.

I certainly enjoyed reading the novel and all of its intricacies. The human mind is a powerful yet deadly tool for many, and I love being engaged in a writer's mind as he/she tells a story. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy to see why a one Christian Grey is the way he is and how he came to be that way as well as hearing more wit from the fierce Ana Steele.

Did you read this book? If so, what did you think?

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I read all 3 in 8 days - I'm totally obsessed with this series! Couldn't put the books down - loved them!
    xoxo,
    Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark

    ReplyDelete