Friday, May 20, 2011

Team Tennis

For most, tennis is a quiet spectator sport where you wear all white clothing with sweaters wrapped around your shoulders and sip lemonade while oohhing and ahhhing as your head moves from side to side in conjunction with the yellow tennis ball. Cheers are only permitted after points and consist of light clapping in a very sophisticated manner. 


But in collegiate tennis, people get rowdy. And I love it. There is something to be said about playing as a team. Most of my life was spent playing single, on the court, alone. Just my opponent and I. A loss meant a loss for me; not for a plethora of other people. In many ways, the burden of only causing yourself to lose is somewhat refreshing. To not have the weight of a team and how your performance affects them is something that I was always happy to not have to worry about. On the other hand, to be a part of a team and compete in that environment is an amazing experience.


For the first time since 2006, the NCAA Men & Women Tennis Championships are being held co-hesively at Stanford. The last time this happened, I was here cheering for UK and UM as my brother played. I remember the weekend vividly as Shane & I created fond memories touring Palo Alto and SanFran. Who knew 5 years later I would be living here and working very closely with Stanford tennis?


Yesterday I drove on down to campus to cheer on the Kentucky Wildcats Men's team. They are seeded #10 and defeated UL in the Regional Final to make it out here to Cali. They drew #8 UF in the Round of 16. UF is always a good team. Tied 1-1 for this season, I knew it would be a nail biter.


UK won the doubles point taking a 1-0 lead. But singles was going to be a fight, evident from the get-go. Alberto quickly dominated on court 4 pushing UK to a 2-0 lead, but Quigley lost on court 1 putting UF on the board. Within minutes, Brad lost tying it up at 2-2. Rossi closed out his match in two sets to put UK back on top 3-2. On court 2, Alex lost the first set and was down 2-3 in the second. Jomby, on court 6, lost the first set 0-6, crept up to win the second 6-3, and was ahead 3-0 in the third. Things were looking pretty. 


Then UF called a medical timeout on court 6 causing Jomby to get cold. He lost three straight games to put the score at 3-3 in the third. I was literally clenching my jaw and tapping my leg nervously. For a freshman to basically have the weight of the team on his shoulders is unnerving. Jomby broke UF to go up 4-3 and then held for a 5-3 lead. He ended up winning the match 6-3 in the third. 


The celebration brought chills to my skin. I remember being part of UK's women's team years ago. I loved the rush of the court and the fast heartbeat it brings.


Cheers to a W over UF and a great match against USC on Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment