Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Bachelorette Party

No, not mine. That will come in June. The book. The raunchy, laugh-out-loud-on-the-plane, ever so true book. It is similar in writing style to the Shopaholic series as well as the Emily Griffin in-love-with Something series, only it is a bit more risque. Think penis blow-up doll named Hans and advice on how to give better BJs. All critical parts of a bachelorette party you see.

I saw the book resting on my mom's nightstand. It looked familiar but after reading the back summary, I couldn't quite recall if I had read it before. I've indulged in the other charming & witty bride-esque books so I figured this would be a good fit. (My past few reads have been a bit dark & heavy so something light was in order). 

Turns out (a coined phrase stolen from Tay Tay), I have read it and I still cracked up laughing on the plane ride home Sunday. Literally, I was laughing so hard I almost pee'd my pants. I started it in Cleveland and finished it at the gym Tuesday. A 300+ page novel downed in a matter of 5 hours time.

The basic premise:
Zadie gets left at the alter. Her best friend Gray is now marrying her too-perfect-goodie-two shoes cousin Helen after only dating for 5 months. Her only positives in life are the fact that she has a job...one teaching hot high school male models in Beverly Hills whom she fantasizes about due to her lack of sexual practices post non-wedding. Forced to go to Helen's prissy bachelorette party, she dreads the whole Hollywood meets June Cleaver itinerary. But somewhere along the way, the party gets started and the bride's true wild colors shine through.

Karen McCullah Lutz does a fabulous job of keeping it light while keeping it real. I suggest the read, especially if you are into sarcasm, narcissism, marital bliss & ignorance, and the great psyche of the female mind.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds hilarious! I think I'll pick up a copy for my upcoming plane ride to Houston! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chantelle! It is really quite funny and a hilarious tribute to LA :)

    ReplyDelete