Wednesday, May 5, 2010

RMH

For almost 10 years, I have been involved with the Ronald McDonald house courtesy of ADPi. It is a charity of utmost importance and one that I hold dear to my heart. I do not have children, but I imagine that when (God-willing) I do my maternal instinct will be one of warrior-like protection. I also imagine that when one of my four children becomes sick, I will be beside myself on many levels.

I reflect back nearly 20 years ago when my own health was failing putting my life in jeopardy. And my mommy so diligently sat by my side for 16 days. Every night she slept on a 'couch' which was the size of a cushion. She watched me drop to a faint 45 lbs and held my hand as they injected me with needles, surgically placed tubes up my nose into my intestines, and prodded the inside of my tummy. She also wept when the doctors informed us that my survival was extremely unlikely. She is a Mother Warrior.

To deal with all of the emotions of an ill child is incredibly overwhelming I imagine. Something that no parent wants to face. Combined with the financial burdens, the care of other children, and the uncertainty of fate is enough to make anyone crack.

The Ronald McDonald Houses across the country serve as a place of welcome, comfort, and home for those who have ill children. Their mission is to be a 'home away from home' at a time when hope is pretty few and far between for these families.

One of the most rewarding ways to participate in this great mission is to provide a meal for the families residing at the houses. 2 1/2 hours of my time and a few bucks is well worth it to see the smiles on the families who express so much gratitude.

A group of us girls prepped, cooked, and served a pre-Cinco de Mayo dinner to the families at RMH Los Angeles. Wow, what a way to relieve the stress I have been feeling and count my blessings.

I highly recommend giving just a moment of your time to RMH...








No comments:

Post a Comment