Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Amgen Tour of California

I must admit that I always found bike riding to be a douche-like sport (sorry love). I think this stemmed from the fact that my mother made me wear a helmet as a young kid which I detested (helmets do NOT look flattering on me; hats barely do now). The neighbors could generally find me pedaling past the roundabout and chucking my helmet into their front yard. I would, of course, retrieve it upon my arrival home tricking my mother (ha!).

I also have nightmares about riding bikes ever since my "great wreck" in 1993. You know the wreck where my so-called friend let me ride the rusty old bike with no brakes in sandals down a steep, steep hill as a car was coming. Trying to avoid the head on collision with a car, I did what any other 10 year old would do and ran myself right into a wooden fence and metal grill. My arm looked like something out of a pre-med case study. Diagnosis: severly broken. Awesome.

So needless to say, when I was re-introduced to the cycling life by my adorable boyfriend, I was less than thrilled (although I must say he did look quite cute in his Lance Armstrong get up). As we made our list of stuff to accompish for the year, Amgen Tour of California made the list. I signed us up to volunteer and the rest is history.

The tour is an 8 stage race from the Northern part of CA down to the Southern part. Stage 7 in downtown Los Angeles was what they call a time trial. A 20.9 mile loop, with riders going off every minute, through the streets of downtown passing all the highlights of the city. We were assigned as Course Marshalls meaning that we basically had crowd control around "the climb".

The intensity, skill level, and training that goes into these races is astounding. I definitely did not have a clear understanding of this concept, but I have a large appreciation for it now. And I think I might have a Lance-wanna be on my hands!


Check out the pics below!



3 comments: