Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Talk Derby To Me

In honor of my great home state, I feel that I must address the event of Derby. The largest horse racing event in the world and perhaps one of the most prestigious events ever. This event draws crowds from all over (think Mardi Gras but more classy). Those who are non-Kentucky natives get caught up in the trendy aspects of the day.


But Derby is more than fancy hats, mint juleps, ponies, and gambling. It is about tradition, community, and pride. It is about beauty, authenticity, and culture. It is about hardwork, dedication, and love of the sport. It is about the thrills and chills of the final stretch. It is about My Old Kentucky Home.

Now that I've gotten the mushy part out of the way...I'll move onto the festive stuff.


My recommendations for first timers are as follows:


1. wear an elaborate hat




2. sip on a mint julep while in the infield




4. attempt to sneak some form of alcohol in just to see if you can get away with it


5. grab a post-derby drink on Bardstown Rd. (Molly Malone's or O'Shea's will do)


6. scream the whole way through the tunnel leading into the infield


7. dare to walk barefoot through the muddy tracks


8. admire the fillies on Oak's Day


9. sing My Old Kentucky Home along with the crowd














10. pretend for just a moment that this place, Louisville, KY, is your home...

No comments:

Post a Comment