Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Canines n' Costumes


Today officially serves as the one year anniversary of when I moved to Sunny San Diego. It is hard to believe that I pulled into the bright lights of downtown with nothing but the belongings in my car and my pup, Beau, 365 days ago. I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed and a great sense of relief all at one time. A 2-day drive cross country is not exactly a walk in the park.


The very next day Beau & I strolled on over to Coronado where we met a lovely woman who told us about this phenomenal concept: Canines n' Wine. A place where pet lovers gather with their dogs while sipping wine and dining on appetizers. And on that particular day, they were having their annual Pet Halloween Costume contest! Needless to say, I was delighted.


I quickly made a grooming appointment for Beau as this was VERY important for his new arrival into SD. Around 5pm I dressed Beau in his 'YMCA worker' costume and headed to the San Diego Wine & Culinary Center. To my amazement, there were 30+ dogs all dressed to the nines.


People of all ages were sitting around chatting with one another and admiring the creativity each pet owner had displayed. I found my way to a table with a few young couples who were beaming over their pups. We made small talk and took a few dozen photos.


As they called Baby Beau's number, I pranced him down the make-shift runway in front of the judges. The oooohhhh's and ahhhh's made me blush a bit as Beau took it in stride.


The judges tallied up the scores and were ready to announce the winners. And drum roll pleaseeeeeee........Beau came in 3rd place! His first day in a new city, and he was placing in contests! I was the proudest mother there for sure. At that moment, I knew that moving to SD had been a GREAT choice!


Tonight Beau will make a push for an advancement in place. While we are hoping for 1st, 2nd place will still be a wonderful accomplishment in this pup's life. As we make the necessary preparations today, we welcome any prayers for the Beau-man!

No comments:

Post a Comment