Thursday, September 3, 2009

Game. Set. Match.

I am tired. 5:45am wake up calls are few and far between for me. Generally, I do not welcome them into my life unless it involves travel. However, I do make an exception for the love of the game.

Tennis: A game played with rackets and a light ball by two players or two pairs of players on a rectangular court, as of grass, clay, or asphalt, divided by a net. Also called lawn tennis.

For me, it is a bittersweet passion that has influenced my life for nearly 14 years. It has been a bridge closing the gap of relationships between myself and two males (one boy, one man). Fitting to have it now impact my interaction with a child.

It has allowed me to travel the world, seeing things that I only dreamed of us a kid. It has brought sweat and tears to my heart and soul. It has created mental toughness. It has served me in my education as well as my career. It has been breathtaking and heart-wrenching at the same time.

My dad shed his first tear in my presence due to the game. I remember looking over and seeing a teardrop roll down his cheek. At first, I figured it was because we were rolling into the sweaty, pit of Macon, GA. Later I realized it had been a combo of the emotions of a proud father and the sincere lyrics of Butterfly Kisses. I still get chills thinking about it.

You see love is nothing in tennis, but in life it's everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment