Friday, September 4, 2009

Just Call Me Coach

As I sit in the DoubleTree hotel in Carson, I am reminded of so many thoughts from my past. Many years have been spent in and out of hotels across the country; actually make that the world. The majority of those hotel stays relate to tennis.

Each year around this time I get a flood of emotions surrounding the everlasting sport of tennis. The nearest and dearest grandslam (U.S. Open) is going on right now. I once had a dream to compete in the tournament or at the very least be in the stands to cheer on a special someone.

Fast forward to the present and my reality is only a tad bit off. Although I am removed from the field of competition, I still take pride in cheering on those I care about. Thus, tomorrow will serve as a huge day in the life of tennis (for me).

Jesse Witten, former collegiate classmate and friend, will take on the #4 ranked player in the world, Novak Djokovik. To win three matches in qualies was a small victory in itself. To be competing in the 3rd round of a grandslam...that is priceless.

Mark, my tennis pupil, will compete in his first tournament being coached by me. It is his first time traveling without his parent(s) and his first big Cali tournie. The pressure is clearly on both of us.

When asked tonight which sport I like better, tennis or golf, I stated tennis because I am a better at it. But the truth of the matter is that the sport of tennis has been a constant in my life. Perhaps it has been the biggest constant throughout my 26 years. I have experienced much growth within the sport. I have depended on it during my lowest points. In many respects, it has become my good friend.

So as I lay my head to rest this evening, I will say one last prayer to the tennis gods and hope that my coaching abilities rise to the occasion...

No comments:

Post a Comment