Monday, August 31, 2009

Why do people race to red lights?


So for nearly a decade this question has been taunting my mind.


Are people in such a hurry that they think by speeding up to the red light it will miraculously turn green? Are they bored with the daunting task of driving for endless hours a day and thus have turned it into a game?


I find it partly amusing and partly annoying when someone whips around me as I slow to the red light. I generally give out a small laugh of amusement followed by the urge to very sharply raise my middle finger.


Then there is the whole awkwardness of your car and theirs being right next to each other for what seems like several intense mintues of stand-still. Do you look over or keep your eye on the prize (that magnificent glowing green light to come)?


I often ask myself if I am so consumed with the concept and do these people even consciously know what they are doing. I assume that they must know that their erractic driving irritates those around them, but maybe they are naive in relation to this situation.


Anyhow, maybe I can spend the next decade finding the thrill in racing up to those red lights...if nothing more than the pure experience of living on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Patience is not my greatest virtue. I blame my lack of patience for not wanting to stop at pesky red lights.. ;) I always laugh when people fly around me and 2 minutes later they're next to me at a light. I mean, that burst of speed really was for nothing- you're not getting where you're going any faster than I am. I'm enjoying reading Whit!! xoxoJL

    ReplyDelete