Thursday, April 17, 2014

Station Fourteen: Jesus is Laid in the Tomb

 Jesus, your body is prepared for burial. Joseph gave you his own tomb. He laid your body there and rolled a large stone in front of it, then went home. What a sad day it has been for so many people.

When my Mama Comley passed away, my mom didn't want her to be buried alone so I went with my parents to pick out three burial plots. One for my grandma, one for my mom, and one for my dad. It was an unnerving experience as we mourned the death of Mama but also faced the harsh reality that my parents too would pass away someday. The man at the cemetery asked me how I liked the location to which I replied, "I hate this whole thing." I like to think my parents will live forever!

As Joseph gives up his burial plot to Jesus, he risked his own life as well as gave up his worldly possession. He loved Jesus so much that any consequences where worth it. Love is about sacrifice as we know from the greatest sacrifice of all: Jesus dying on the cross for us!




As an adult, I can be selfish too. I can accumulate things and keep them for myself. I try to make sure I have what I want before I share what I have with anybody else. Help me think of Joseph of Arimathea, who risked his own life as he accepted Jesus' body for burial. Help me think of how Joseph loved Jesus so much that he gave him his own tomb.



(All italicized quotes/prayers have been taken from www.catholic.org/prayers/stations)

No comments:

Post a Comment