Saturday, February 9, 2013

Memory (2000) NINE

Memory Nine: Sunny San Diego + Doggie Happy Hour + Adventures with the Rhodes Boys + PB's Shore Club



Ah Pacific Beach, where we may look like adults but are most definitely not acting like it. Where doctors & lawyers surf on their lunch break. Every. Single. Day. Where the sun shines all the time. Where temps are a solid 75 degrees year round. Where you can sip a giant bowl of beer or cocktail while watching the sunset and the waves crash against the beach. Where the two minute drive from La Jolla to PB has the most gorgeous view. Where downtown has the aura of LA but the pleasantry of the south. Where all you see is smiles.



It is no secret that I loved every second of my time in San Diego. Really there wasn't much to not love. I had the amazing opportunity to homeschool and coach two wonderful boys. I played tennis twice a day usually in between swimming at the beach or cruising PB on my beach cruiser. Every Wednesday was doggie happy hour at the San Diego Food & Wine Center. Us humans dined on fancy apps & sipped wine while our pups socialized sand leashes.



This is where I met Shana. The wonderful Shana who has the biggest heart of anyone in the world. Yes I will challenge you to bring someone as God-devoted, positive, upbeat, & selfless as her. We would eventually become roomies with Marky Mark at 1812 Chalcedony. Oh the memories. She is also the unbelievably talented photographer who did our engagement & wedding pictures. She was the creator of Neighbor Wars, a festive weekend filled with scavenger hunts, beer tasting, sangria making, & other adult games. **Champion of Neighbor Wars 2 by the way**



PB is where I met ERIN (get down!), the Brookes and the Navy boys. It is where we became a pseudo family away from our real families. We had tacos on Tuesdays. We went to Shore Club on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, & Sundays. We danced the night away at Moondoggies. We had brunch at Sandbar in Mission Beach every Sunday. We had slumber parties in the neighborhood. We went boating in the bay. We cheered on the Chargers and the Padres. We drank wine at Kate Sessions. We clubbed it at Basic downtown. We bonded over late night conversations.



San Diego is where I gained my life back. I restored confidence in myself and those around me. I built life-long friendships while having the time of my life. I learned what true happiness is all about in SD. I learned that life can be what you want it to be. I learned to do the things that I enjoy without feeling guilty for choosing that lifestyle/life motto.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for San Diego. It brought Ryan back into my life after many years of separation. And well, we all know how that story turns out...


No comments:

Post a Comment