Friday, August 26, 2011

Let the Tennis Season Begin...

As I sit here typing, sipping my glass of wine and typing along on a Friday evening, I can't help but feel a little Murder She Wrote-esque (pardon the fact that Angela Lansbury sipped coffee and solved mysteries). While I do not solve any legit mysteries, I have managed to overcome the first puzzle in my new role as head coach. I successfully completed my first week of practice this evening. I managed to get through 3 days of tryouts, 2 days of practice, a captains' meeting, a team parents meeting, and a team dinner all in my first week without any tears (from myself or the girls) or outbursts. If that isn't success with teenage girls, then I don't know what is.

In all seriousness, I am truly blessed to have a team of very bright, energetic, respectful players. They aren't too shabby at this whole tennis thing either which makes the job much easier ;) I feel that we are off to a great start; one that I have been silently nervous about from the moment I accepted the position. I replaced a coach who had been at SFU for 30+ years. He was the longest reigning coach in school history. Talk about a tall order to fill. Not to mention that the girls respected and appreciated him immensely so I was weary of them carrying that feeling over to me. Happy to report that if this first week is any indication of their thoughts about me, I am passing with flying colors.

Now we dive right into the season: 2 matches next week, 1 match + the 100 team Fresno tournament the following weekend, and 3 matches the week after next. We are wasting no time as we get conditioned, fit, smart, and strategic.

Wish me us luck as we prepare for the season!!!






LET'S GO RED DEVILS!

No comments:

Post a Comment