Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Call Me Coach

...or as Ryan says C squared.

That's right folks! I am the new Head Coach for the Girls Varsity Tennis team at the San Francisco University High School. I will be cheering for the Red Devils and doting red & white (purely on a tennis level as I would never turn my back on the CATS ;) ).

When I stop to think about it, in a 5 day stretch my life has made a minor adjustment that I believe will have a significant impact on me. As a person who has immense faith and willfully believes in the saying "all things happen for a reason", the opportunity to coach is a prime example of why I feel that way. I was forwarded the assistant position from a co-worker nonchalantly. I emailed my resume over to the AD that evening. The next morning I received a call asking to be interviewed, and what I learned on the call was that they actually needed a head coach. I came in for an in-person interview Monday the 11th and met with the team captains on Thursday the 14th. Around 5pm Thursday, I accepted the position.

I am beyond ecstatic to be coaching. There has never been a challenge that I did not rise to meet, and I honestly cannot wait for the season to start. The school is one of the top in the country academically and athletically. The AD and Assistant AD have been nothing but a pleasure to interact with as well as incredibly supportive thus far. The two team captains that I engaged in conversation were not only polite, respectful, intellectual, and energetic, but they were also competitive and earnest to win the Northern Section.

I am looking forward to August when the season starts and to taking over Northern California one match at a time!

For a peak into how exceptional the women of this school are in athletics and character, click here.

To see what the school is all about, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! So good to chat with you the other day! Hope you got caught up on some amount of sleep this week! :)

    ReplyDelete