Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lunch For One

While reading my latest People mag, I came across an easy summer salad courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito from the hit Bravo show Rocco's Dinner Party. Usually the weekends are our eat-out days/nights, but with this past weekend being our first home in a month, we decided to be low-key. So for me, that meant mostly staying in except for a few short hours each day (Saturday's retail therapy & Sunday's flash facial). For Ryan, that meant lots of outdoor activity including biking and hiking.

Friday evening, Ryan grabbed groceries and all of the necessary ingredients for my summer salad. After Sunday's facial, I was in need of a refreshing lunch so I decided to go for it.

Here's the recipe:





Boston Blue Chicken and Apple Salad
serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 4- 6oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
  • 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 in. thick slices
  • 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese
  • 1/4 cup bottled reduced-fat vinaigrette
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 2 tbsp. chopped chives
Directions:
  1. Spray grill pan with cooking spray and place over high heat.
  2. Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper and grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
  3. In a large bowl, combine lettuce, apples, blue cheese, and vinaigrette. Toss & transfer to serving bowl.
  4. Slice chicken into 1/2 in. think slices. Add to salad and top with walnuts & chives.

Whit's substitutions/suggestions:
  • I prefer romaine lettuce so I subbed out the boston lettuce for romaine. Any lettuce will do really.
  • I detest regular vinaigrette so I used raspberry vinaigrette instead. If you want extra flavor, try it.
  • No chives for me. Toasted walnuts were enough topping.
  • Pair with cheese & crackers and a glass of champagne for a more fancy meal.

And viola...



Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment