Thursday, May 26, 2011

Delilah, Made Memories Tonight

One of my favorite things about Wednesday nights is the solitude of my hour drive home from Los Gatos. At nighttime, there are fewer travelers and the traffic runs smoothly. The lights illuminate the city skyline and gleam off the water. But perhaps the best part of my drive is 106.9 and Delilah's calming tunes. 

Dad and I used to go on road trips every weekend, traveling to all of the southern states for tennis tournaments. Inevitably we would drive through the nighttime in order to get to most locations, and without doubt, every state had a radio station with her (Delilah) sweet voice and her story-telling listeners confessing their deepest loves and regrets. 

I learned a lot about my dad through these trips. It was on one that I would first see him shed a tear as we listened to (fittingly) Butterfly Kisses on Delilah half-way to Macon, GA. I also learned how much he reveled in Sinatra, Elton John, Billy Joel, and the Goo Goo Dolls on such said trips and radio nights. He knew the words to almost every song played. He has an extremely amazing talent when it comes to whistling songs and his voice is pretty darn good. He can carry a tune and he's got rhythm. Amazing in itself...particularly if you are familiar with my lack-of talent in the musical department.

So it is on these Wednesday night drives home that I remember our father/daughter road trips. And just for a moment, I feel like a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment