Monday, April 4, 2011

My Dublin Addictions

There is no doubt in my mind that I was European in some other lifetime. Ever since 2006 when my first excursion to the outside world took place, I have been in love with the lifestyle. So much of the slow paced, history cherishing, ritual seeking culture suits my anxiety levels much better than those of the U.S. Don't mistake my affection for Europe (equally Aussieland too) as an ungrateful attitude towards our country; I am forever indebted to those who keep us safe and all that America has to offer, but I do long for the confidence and simplicity of the EU.

Each country has its own distinct traditions that just make me want to rent a chateau and get lost in the city life. For France, it is the landmarked Arc de Triumphe lined with the Champs d'Elysee fashion haven which the French frequent on their daily route to work. In Switzerland, it is the unwavering loyalty to nutella on all things, the blooming gardens situated cozily by Lac Geneva with the snow-capped mountains in the background. The list goes on and on and on as I daydream of each country.

It is only fitting that I became obsessed and intrigued with most things Dublin. Considering themselves less European and more American, in many ways Ireland's most touristy city is a bit like San Francisco in terms of climate, walking abilities, and cultural offerings. But in my opinion, it still breathes the heart of Europe.

And so I aspire to some how, some way incorporate the Irish ways into my life...


  • afternoon tea with a dash of cream and 2 slender packets of brown sugar
  • Tea Time
    
  • blooming tulips that stand 36 inches tall and open as big as Grafton Street

    Gorgeous tulips
  • the love affair had with rituals of eating, savoring every last bite of every single meal

Irish fish n' chips

  • brightly painted doors to all houses, offices, museums, etc

Love the colorful doors

One of my favorite pastimes is eavesdropping being engulfed with conversations all around me. Nothing is more neat than being surrounded by 100's of couples having their own intimate dinner and convo in a language you haven't the slightest clue about nor do you understand a lick of what they're saying; however, you just know it is romantic.

The ole' Irish have a few words/phrases over their own that I might be sporting here in the States.

  • To Let means for rent...notice it is only one letter short of toilet
  • Pusher- more commonly known as a stroller
  • You're Welcome- means welcome not to be said after thank you but rather before
  • Crackin- to be working out
  • Yacht- any size boat, yes even a floating raft

Until we meet again my European friends, I will cherish the memories via photographs, postcards, and stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment