Friday, March 18, 2011

Making A House A Home

One of my favorite things is seeing what people put in their home to make it their home. While I am not a knick-knack person (OCD-ness doesn't quite allow for that), I do love the personality that people bring to their personal space. My mom flowers our house with photos galore helping to preserve the memories of our her childhood and ours. Mommy T places special trinkets and memorabilia from her various travels throughout her home. Kendahl displays her Swarovski collection in a large, corner curio cabinet. Amanda (my soon-to-be SIL) showers her office and den with pictures of family afar. I too have a few of my favorite things that I feel add a bit of character to our new home (when Ryan allows me to be the female in the relationship and use my feminine touch).


Corner Curio Cabinet

Swarovski Collection ;)


My Swarovski and all things crystal/glass cabinet. Not my first choice for a storing space, but the rustic green fits well with our office feel.

Cluster of Love


Mom & Mama Comley on my parents' wedding day

Newlyweds, August 7th 1976

Ryan, Mommy T, & I

Newly Engaged



After spending time at home for my Mama Collins' funeral, we spend an evening up at her house going through boxes and boxes and boxes of photos. We ripped and roared on styles dating back to the 1920's, those of my parents "ugly" years, and sadly our own "ugly" years. I have always been fascinated by old-time photos. The black and white, dated look intrigued me at a young age, and I would find myself searching my grandparents' house for anything that looked pre-my birth. I was mesmerized by it all really. So I decided to combine old and new...

Julia Child might be jealous


Cookbooks inspire me. I am always dreaming of whipping open a cookbook to a random recipe and dazzling guests with my Julia Child-like skills. Plus they help make our kitchen look more used ;)


Halfdome at Moonlight

Lastly, we received this amazing wall picture of Half Dome at moonlight as an engagement gift from the Campisanos. It is so touching specifically because it commemorates our first big hike together, something we will forever remember! (please pay no attention to the plastic wrap still on it as we are doing some changes to the office and didn't want to scratch it ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment