Friday, November 26, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It is no secret that Christmas is my favorite holiday. Ever since I was a child, the warmth and happiness of the spirit has made me smile inside and outside. The gift of giving is like nothing else.

I live for the traditions that our family holds. The routine hasn't changed at all. All four kids sleep in the same room on Christmas Eve. We still rise way too early for our parents' liking to see what Santa dropped off the night before. We each have our own designated "Santa Spot". We gasp and admire the gifts. Then I play gift giver, passing out the wrapped presents from the family. Without fail, I am the last to open my gifts as the joy of seeing everyone else open their presents is my favorite part. We open the stockings last, nibbling on a piece of candy or two pre-breakfast. After a little clean up, the 6 of us race to the kitchen for a prime spot at the table. Our signature mugs are filled with milk and our Christmas plates piled with mommy's famous poppy seed bread. A mini brawl usually breaks out over the last piece. Everyone disperses to take their presents to their room and generally catch a catnap. 27 years have gone by since the tradition began and I am determined to make sure it keeps on living.

So since Thanksgiving is officially over...let the decorating begin

















No comments:

Post a Comment