Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rite of Welcome

I don't claim to be perfect. I don't claim to be holy. I consider myself to be extremely l oving and passionate to a fault at times, but I have spent days, weeks, months, even years not acting in a Christian manner. I have taken the Lord's hand and then let go a time or two. I have been sinful. I have been gluttoness, envious, and hateful.

I am not sure exactly when or even how really, but I came to realize that the Lord Jesus Christ is in total control. I realized that He has a plan for me. And His plan for me includes me allowing Him to be in control. He does not say this path will be easy, but He does promise to stand next to me along the way.

In January, I began attending RCIA inquiry classes at Saint Monica for 2 hours every Monday evening. A Catholic school girl by education and somewhat by nature, I have always felt compelled to be a part of the church. I was not baptised Catholic, but it is the only faith that I truly know. Ever since I was a child, I can remember the upsetting feeling of not being able to receive communion. To not be able to partake in the body & blood of Christ. As a youngster, this troubled me deeply, and I often thought that I would never become Catholic. However, I have always rejoiced in the feeling of attending church and being part of such an extraordinary community.

4 months into my faithful journey, I am learning so much about God, myself, and the Catholic Church. Our class discussions are detailed, heated, and quite exhausting at times; but the rich knowledge and inspiration that comes from my fellow classmates is astounding.

Today, we were acknowledged at the Rite of Welcome ceremony- the first milestone in our trek to becoming full-blown Catholics. It was a beautiful and spiritual addition to the normal mass. Our sponsors performed the sign of the cross on our minds, our lips, our ears, our eyes, our hands, our feet, and our hearts. They then presented us with a lovely cross as we move into our next series of classes and teachings.

I know this journey and the journey of life will not always be peaches and cream, but I look forward to walking in Christ's light.

No comments:

Post a Comment