Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What Do You Say We Blow Off Homework For a Little Bit...

I was faced with a difficult task yesterday. Perhaps one of the most stomach-ing of my short life thus far. When I picked the boys up from school, they immediately shouted "so you're moving to L.A." I was able to dodge the conversation until we reached the car. But from then on, it was full court press questions.

I made it down La Jolla Village Drive before the tears ran down my cheeks. I tried explaining that it had nothing to do with them. I attempted to help them comprehend that they had helped me beyond belief at a time in my life when I was lethargic. I even offered the suggestion that they would quickly forget about me with all the excitement of their dad returning from Kuwait, vacationing in Rochester, and visiting their old friends (and nanny) in Cinci. They weren't buying it.

So I did what any (fake) parent would do...I let them blow off homework and we headed to Belmont Park. We splurged on 4 roller coasters and a pound of candy. We had a blast. It was only for an hour, but it might be one of the best hours that we have spent together.

The honesty of children never ceases to amaze me. They explained that this was the 'best day of their lives'. Good thing because Sunday had been the 'worst day of their lives.' They offered up the solution of me just living at their house forever and them increasing my pay (wise kids!). They admitted that it would be hard to find someone who did all of the things for them that I did. Needless to say, I was flattered and humbled by this little outing.

Their behavior was not a fluke. This morning, Mark had his best AM session ever. His attitude was tremendous as was his footwork and overall work ethic. Bennett prepared breakfast for everyone. The two have yet to argue in the past 48 hours (you have no idea how big of an accomplishment this is for us). I can only hope that once I leave they will continue to exemplify the behavior that I have worked so hard to achieve.

And here's to making this the best two weeks for the Rhodes/Collins duo!

No comments:

Post a Comment