Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Namaste

Years ago, I was a skeptic of the correlation between inner healing and physical condition. It wasn't until after my divorce and my ability to quit indulging in self-pity that I began to buy into the dicotmy of body and soul. The concept that when your soul is fulfilled your body is able to heal from injury, stress, and general overuse (and reversely that when your body is replenished, your soul is able to peacefully rest) all of a sudden was becoming a realization to my everyday life.

In early October 2008 (while I was still living in Chicago), I went to bed with a noticeable pain in my lower back. I scanned my brain for any out-of-the-ordinary activity from the past few days. Empty. I had been in my gym routine for nearly 6 months by then. I hadn't started packing so the lifting wasn't an issue. Mid-way through the night, I awoke to my pup growling and grunting as he wanted in on the late night action that occured in the dark alley behind our house, separating our backyard from Jewel (the grocery store).

I managed to pull myself out of bed and to the kitchen door, but as I sleepily wandered down the 4 step-3 step combo leading to the backdoor, I felt a sharp pain stinging from my hamstrings to my lower back through my spine and up to my neck. I braced myself by holding onto both door panels. I was terrified to sit on the stairs, fearing that I would not be able to get up if I sat. A wave of nausea overcame my stomach caused by the excruciating pain.

By God's grace, I crawled back up the stairs into the bathroom praying the entire way that I would not throw up in our kitchen. You see my roommate at the time was a bit like Hitler in her ruling (in her mind, she somehow actually owned the house and I was the renter. Note that we both rented the house together from a Spanish woman).

Anyhow, I slipped into the bathroom to wash my face off and furiously looked for pain medicine. The medicine cabinet had been free of any meds. I am not a fan of medication including Tylenol, Advil, Midol, etc; however, I would have paid a pretty penny for some at that moment. Failed mission. I again crawled through the chilled, tiled floor and rolled back into bed. In severe pain.

The next morning my back was tighter than a tight rope in the Cirque du Soleil. I cranked up the seat warmer as I drove the hour commute to work. The thought of sitting from 8 to 6 made me quiver with dissatisfaction. I knelt for the majority of the day because the physical act of sitting was too painful to endure.

About 10 days passed and my back returned to a functional state, just in time for me to drive the 2090 miles from Chi-city to Sunny SD. I vowed to take care of my back as soon as I made the move (along with a plethora of other life altering/bettering techniques and practices). Low and behold, I began yoga a few weeks after settling in.

In 2009, I started out doing yoga once or twice a week. I was a bit religious in my practice. I was successful in strengthening my lower back and my core in order to relieve some of the pain. Meanwhile, I also created a peaceful state of being for my soul (and my mind temporarily). As all things do, my commitment to the practice wavered in the summer.

But as we descend into the 2009 calendar year and prepare to enter 2010, I vow to regain the balance of body and soul. Whether I have to practice at home or at a studio, I need that tranquillity.

No comments:

Post a Comment