Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11: We Remember



As we remember the fallen from September 11, 2001 today, I reflect back to where I was when these horrific attacks took place. I reflect on the great sadness that struck this country. I remember the unity we exemplified following the attacks. I remember the strong emotions I had visiting Ground Zero 3 months later.

As a New York resident, I have an even greater respect & understanding now of the tragedy that this great nation and state felt on September 11th. I honor the people who lost their lives, those who fought/fight for this country, and those who lost loved ones.

Sunday night 60 Minutes did a piece on the 9/11 Museum. Mom, Taylor, & I recently visited the 9/11 Memorial which is breathtaking. The museum structure was up but still a work in progress. I was fascinated and inspired by the story of how the museum has come/is coming to be. Touched by the board of directors who all lost loved ones on that unforgettable day. The museum will tell a remarkable story that a large portion of our young population was not even alive to remember. It will share stories of heros; intimate last phone calls; the man/men responsible for the greatest tragedy in this country. It will honor the lives lost. And it will remind us of why we are proud to call the United States of America our home.

If you missed the segment Sunday night, I urge you to check it out here. To read about the museum, click here.


“All of a sudden there were people screaming. I saw people jumping out of the building. Their arms were flailing. I stopped taking pictures and started crying.” -Michael Walters, a freelance photojournalist in Manhattan

“The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic, and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.” -Rudolph Giuliani, former mayor of New York City

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” -President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment