Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Park City, Utah

I'm a big fan of surprising Ryan with trips for his birthday. For one, we don't need a bunch of "stuff" that will just go to waste. And for two, I love traveling so it works out well for me too :) After listening to him complaint about how "omg he wouldn't get to ever snowboard since we were moving to the east coast", I was determined to prove him wrong. For the record, he has been three times in 2012 which is the exact same amount he went in 2011. I win.

And I am on my own quest this year. As a five year old, I vowed to go to all 50 states before I kicked the bucket, and I've made a pretty nice dent in the list. I lack in the northeast and west regions. So it was only fitting that I chose Utah for Rhino's 31st b-day celebration. One new state for me to check off. A snowboarding trip for him. Win-win situation.

**Despite my love for snowboarding, I am not experienced enought to be comfortable doing it while preggo just yet. And while I'm sure I would have been fine, I would never forgive myself if something happened to baby T on account of my playing.

Thursday we kicked off our mini vaca after I ran around the house like a mad woman trying to make sure the thermostats were set, the lights were turned off, the alarm was set, and baby Beau was ready for Gracelane Kennel (I hate leaving him but Snowbird is not pet friendly). We had a rather long layover in Chi-town which resulted in a lot of web surfing, reading, and catch up on our accounts. By the time we arrived in Salt Lake City's airport, we were exhausted and ready for some sleep. The Cliff Lodge at Snowbird was a mere 40 minute drive which flew by thanks to no traffic. Even in the moonlight, the mountains were breathtaking.

Friday I awoke and hit the gym. Ryan slept in while I worked up a sweat. The view was picturesque and made it easy to remain on the eliptical for some time. I grabbed a little breakfast for us and headed to our room to wake up the sleepy guy. We chowed down and dressed in our UK gear to cheer on the CATS! Superstitution is one of my greatest traits when it comes to the BBN. Ryan hit the slopes after our victory while I enjoyed lunch by the window with a novel. Followed by an hour yoga class. Unbelievably relaxing. Something I haven't made time for recently and something that won't be happening again until April. After our individual adventures, we showered up and headed to dinner. I'd made reservations at Wildflower, a romantic restaurant at the Iron Blosom Inn just down the hill. We enjoyed calamari, seafood fettuccine, graham cracker cheesecake, and raspberry sorbet. Tucked in by 9:30pm.

gorgeous

on the lunch menu: relaxation

the snowboard tunnel

coming out of the tunnel

seriously breathtaking

adult night


To kick-off a gorgeous Saturday morning, I rose early to get in an hour & a half yoga class before treating myself to a prenatal massage and facial. Hey, my doctor advised I get as many massages as possible throughout this journey of becoming a mother. And by the way, the views from the Cliff Spa were amazing. Ryan got a few morning runs in before we met up at The Atrium for some CATS cheer & a tasty lunch. The rest of the afternoon was spent on the mountain for the birthday boy and finishing up my Nicholas Sparks gem. We took a stroll around the Snowbird Center while sipping hot cocoa. The temp was mild enough to soak up the sunshine and acquire my vitamin d daily intake. We dined at The Aerie on the top floor of our hotel. Another romantic setting overlooking the mountains with fabulous food. We each enjoyed a burger with sushi (no worries just a California roll) as an appetizer.

morning view 
Ryan hitting the slopes

apres ski vodka ice bar

dinner date

who needs ski boots when you have Uggs?

I rep the CATS everywhere


Sunday we slept in and grabbed a quick bite before hitting the gym. I saw a pregnant woman on the bike and then the treadmill. I stopped to ask her how far along she was, mainly so that when I become huge & lazy I will use her determination as motivation. 36 weeks. Working out like a champ. Oh and don't worry with twins she worked out until the day she had them. Perfect.

After the sweat came heartache. Let's just say UK basketball is more than just a game to me. But bring it on NCAA tourney. We're ready for you! So to drown my sorrows, I hit up the shops while Ryan finished his snowboarding time. We met back up at El Canate for some Mexican dinner coupled with Selection Sunday. If you are my fb friend, then you will know how annoyed and lame I find the south bracket to be. I'm not going to go into it again because my blood pressure gets crazy high which apparently is no bueno. At least Dicky V and a few other commentators had the guts to point out that the selection committee did the Cats no favors. Revenge is sweet though, and I guess being the best means being hated by everyone.

Anywho, tucked in early due to a 4am departure. Brutal on a normal day. Extra brutal with daylight savings. We both really enjoyed our weekend of r&r, and we relished in the fact that we weren't stuck on home projects or to do lists. We actually had real conversations about normal things. So refreshing.

last day of vaca...cinnibon mini treats ;) 
and a Vegas layover!


How did your weekend go?

No comments:

Post a Comment