Saturday, March 24, 2012

In the Midst of Miami

Each time I return to Miami, a wave of emotions rush over me. Often times, its like I never left. Then again so much has changed in 5 years. I still make sure to visit my favorite spots including malls, eateries, and bars. And I have specific drives that I must take despite how out of the way they may be.

Miami is where I began my quote on quote adult life. The first place I truly lived on my own. The first place I came to virtually knowing no one. The first place I learned to navigate the town myself, get a job with my credentials rather than contacts, and make friends from scratch. It is where I met the person who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with back then. The place where what I consider to be the most painful experience of my 29 years and the biggest failure of my life to date took place. The place that my career in sports began and in some respect ended in terms of my ideal job. Miami has been a constant in my life for 7 years and with it has come highs and lows and more emotional roller coasters than an amusement park.

I've pondered all of the emotions over the past few years that I feel upon return. I comprehend the bittersweet-ness of the adult aspect. I have healed from the darkness and stigmas of divorce. I have come to appreciate Miami for what it was, what it is, and what it will always be in my life. But the one thing I have yet to overcome is how it has affected my career in sports. I can't seem to let my dream job hopes & aspirations go just yet. And honestly, I'm not quite sure I will ever truly let it go.

So as I move forward, I hope to gain more opportunities each time I come here. I hope to get to a place where I can let the past be the past and the present be enough. I hope to get to a place where the future is brighter than ever.

Muchos gracias Miami for all that you have been, are, and will be.

1 comment: