Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Announcement

After hanging on every word the experts had to say during Selection Sunday and Bracketology, I kept ESPN on while I packed up my suitcase to depart Utah. The Announcement, a documentary of sorts, told by Magic Johnson quickly sucked me in. The story of his life, his battle with HIV, and his determination to not only beat the disease but to empower those around him.

I can remember being just under 10 years old when the news broke. I faintly remember asking my parents what HIV meant. Like many others, they believed it to be a horrible disease contracted by doing horrible things. The image of Magic changed to a semi-negative in my young mind. Michael Jordan quickly became my favorite NBA star.

But after crying along with his story, I can't help feeling a bit ashamed of my ignorance. Albeit age and lack of understanding, the world and even his closest friends judged him. His wife stood by him which I find to be unbelievably honorable especially given that she was pregnant when they found out. And Pat Riley, the ultimate coach and leader, saved Magic from his own depression. Thank the Lord for that because Magic has gone on to not only educate the world on the HIV virus, but he has also given hope to those who are infected. Children through no fault of their own. Women through deceit of their man. Victims of bad blood transfusions. In the words of Pit Bull, Magic took a negative and turned it into a positive.

So thank you Magic Johnson for being brave. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. Your very personal story. You have made a difference. And with that you have just become my favorite NBA player again.

1 comment:

  1. We watched this after the bracket craziness as well. I was so moved by his honesty, ownership of actions, leadership, positive attitude and desire to spread the word. He truly is an amazing and extremely brave MAN.

    ReplyDelete