Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Help, Cinema Style

"Change your thoughts and you'll change the world. Shine the light that you found..."


Ryan & I went to see The Help, as promised, tonight. I couldn't get home fast enough from Marin County to write. While reading the book made me ashamed and angered, the movie made me feel vulnerable and moved. Moved to do something. Something to make this world better.

When I heard Skeeter's voice and dreams of becoming a writer, I was reminded of myself once upon a time. I remembered being a young girl and wanting to become a famous model. I wanted to be famous so that I could show the world that you could be famous and normal. A polite, respectful, person who believed we were all equal regardless of our Hollywood status. Clearly no need to report here that I did not become America's Next Top Model. Once my prime time modeling career came to a screeching halt, I dreamed of being a professional athlete. I could still do something where people looked up to me, and I thought I could give them strength and hope that they too could do something phenomenal if they worked hard. Barely into college with a snapped IT band shattered those dreams. Saddled up again, my early adult aspirations where to become a corporate mogul to prove that women are indeed sexy, smart, and successful. No need to point out the flaws in this plan as they are quite obvious for those who know me and know that I am no Senior VP Executive.

So here I sit, playing The Help trailer on repeat, tapping into change, trying to figure out how and what I can do to be that inspired, fearless girl again. What can I do to change the world. Change the thoughts of judgement. Change  the way we wrong and hurt others. Change our future.

In some way, I believe in writing. I believe that writing from the heart can bring change. Maybe it doesn't change you. But I know it changes me. Day by day. Word by word. And that has to count for something.







No comments:

Post a Comment