Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Something Borrowed

Monday night I went to see this chick flick solo. It was #1 on my list o' movies to see at the moment, and I have no shame in seeing one alone. Crying hysterically at sappy romantic-comedies always seems a tad creepy when by yourself but I got over that long ago.

I had read the book several years ago while I was peddling through Europe. I remember sitting on a park bench in Austria, my head buried in the pages of Emily Griffin's novel. I believe I finished the book in a day moving onto Something Blue shortly after. It was at that moment when I felt the urge to write a novel of my own. I was so engulfed in how real it all seemed and how it was something that everyone could relate to in a way.

The movie, featuring Ginnifer Goodwin & Kate Hudson, didn't disappoint. Often my fear after reading the book. Each played their character to a perfected T. John Krasinski from the office might have been the best of them all though as the sarcastic male bff of Rachel (played by GG). Darcy (aka Kate H) was just how I remembered her in the book: loud, obnoxious, full of herself, and charmingly witty.

If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, then you might enjoy this brief summary. Two childhood best friends who couldn't be more opposite do everything together. As their adult-lives take form, the outgoing & outspoken Darcy in a twisted way meanders her way into Rachel's law school crush, Dax, winning his affection. On Rachel's 30th birthday, D hosts a surprise party for her which ends in one crazy life-altering event for them. Mixed with humor, guilt, cynicism, and charisma, the cast displays a roaring storyline that mimics real life relationships.

The plot explores the balance and struggle of what we are expected to do versus what we want to do. It touches on the complexity of romance and takes a look at how sometimes when we don't speak up, we lose what we always wanted.








I'm looking forward to Something Blue!

2 comments:

  1. Whit!!!! It was one of my all time favorite novels along with Something Blue. I haven't seen the movie yet but am DYING to go see it! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOVE it!!! Miss you doll :)

    ReplyDelete