Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shredding...

...as noted by the locals; us commoners simply call it snowboarding.

Ryan & I in Northstar



When Ryan & I started dating in 2009, I we he decided to try to kill me via exhaustion by way of physical activity. I am convinced of this theory. He started our second date weekend with a small hike up Temescal. By small, I mean he thought it best to take me up the difficult route. I wondered why no one else was out of breath and why they were coming down the same side we were going up. I silently cursed him as my out-of-shape body could barely catch its breath. I had a slight issue with working out at that time. I preferred working my biceps by curling a beer to my lips rather than actual weights.

Nonetheless, I stopped cursing him in my thoughts and embraced the likelihood of getting back in shape. Plus wintertime was coming so I knew hiking would sit on the back burner until at least the spring (we all know how the story of our great hikes go now ;) ). Well, silly me thought I had caught a break. Oh no, not on Ryan's watch.

Meet my former nemesis: snowboarding.

Northstar's fresh powder


If we are sticking to telling the truth, I was over-the-top willing to take on this cold yet thrilling new adventure. I had always wanted to learn to take ownership of the mountain. Mainly because I thought girls looked cute/sporty in their onesies and anything to make me look more Cali worked for me.

A year ago this past weekend (MLK), we headed the 5 hours up to Mammoth from L.A. I was stoked to take a group lesson. Seriously, how hard could snowboarding be? Haha. Foolish me. I spent the first day falling on my butt, on my back, on my face, on my legs, on my head. You name the body part, I fell on it. I hurt in places that I never even knew existed on day 1. If you know about pain from injury, you know day 2 and day 3 are far superior on the pain-o-meter than day 1. I very loudly cursed Ryan during my first stint on the mountain.

Out of sheer determination and a strong ego when it pertains to sports, I refused to quit and signed myself up for day 2. Still trying to impress this man, I grit my teeth and decided that I was going to be a snowboarder. End of story. The 2010 season ended with 2 more trips: one to Mammoth and one to Big Bear. By April, I could successfully get down without falling!



So as the winter approached this year, I was eager to get back out on the mountain to strengthen my skills and rise to another challenge with my love. Due to lots of pressing matters, engagements, holidays, and moves, this past weekend was the first time we have been able to get up to Tahoe. We opted for a day trip via NacSki to Northstar. We had an amazing time. 10+ runs for each of us. No tumbles. Warm sun and fresh powder. All smiles.

Shredding Bro!
Sick day on the mountain



We even captured some of the sick air on video. I might be the next female Shaun White. Heavily kidding.










No comments:

Post a Comment