Thursday, December 9, 2010

Movie Review (Take 1)

warning: this post should have come 2 weeks ago but I've been busy

As Ryan & I entered our 2nd year of holidays together, we held true to many traditions that began last year (i.e. preparing our Thanksgiving dishes the Wednesday night before, hiking Thanksgiving morning, late afternoon Black Friday shopping, etc). Another great tradition that we plan to make a lifelong tradition is to see a movie on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I typically force, er I mean make the choice of movie when we attend the cinema. I am a huge movie person, and while Ryan enjoys movies, he is not as obsessed as me. So when he spoke several times about 127 Hours, I felt compelled to let him choose the post-Tgiving flick this year.

127 Hours: a mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneeing alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive.

Here's the skinny:
James Franco plays real life adventure seeker, Aron Ralston, in a 94 minute thriller that will inspire you to be daring, allow you to laugh at the irony of life, and force you to ask the question. "what would I do to survive?"

Aside from the goorey part where he is forced to amputate his own arm, my stomach remained unquized for the other 87 minutes. In light of our recent hiking adventures and those to come, I realized through the movie that safety is key...not that I didn't care about it before, but I didn't have it on my mind that something might actually happen.

I'll admit I was less than thrilled to see this movie at first (I convinced myself I was "taking one for the team"), but I am happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I thought it might be a lot like Castaway where Franco makes a pass at a cave he is confined to out of deliriousness, insert Tom Hanks having a love affair with a volleyball. It was nothing like this FYI.

Officially, the film doesn't launch until 2011 across the country I believe. Check it out in the New Year...

No comments:

Post a Comment