Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Wonders

For the first time in a long time, we did not have anywhere that we just had to be. In our typical fashion, we did have plans and a slight agenda, but the overall feel of the weekend was one of relaxation. Most noted, we were on snail-like pace with our movements which (even for me) was fabulous and extremely needed.

Those of you who know us (specifically me), know that we operate at a fast pace with an on-the-go-always mentality. Since, oh say January, we have hardly had a free moment to catch our breaths, and we are gearing up for a fun-filled plus rather hectic fall/winter (to be kicked off with JL & Davis' wedding this coming weekend).

I began the weekend with a few balls at the driving range followed by a casual dinner + drinks date with Nik. I came home to find my honey lounging on the couch munching on stir fry, baby Beau curled up next to his dad, and a fully stocked fridge. We watched an epidose and a half of Criminal Minds before tucking each other in.

Staying true to my promise to Nik, I slept in until 10:30am. I cannot even tell you the last time I got this much sleep, and to be honest, I only woke up to let the dog out. As soon as I realized Ryan had already taken Beau for a morning stroll, I quickly whipped up some scrambled eggs and then dozed off to college football on the sofa.

Our big event for the day: USC Trojans versus Washington Huskies.



We headed down to campus around 3pm. Grabbed a 6-pack of Miller Lite and met up with B & V to "tailgate" for 30 minutes. FYI, our tailgating skills are pretty lame these days. Kicking the center pole as we crossed the train tracks, we trotted through the rose garden and into the coliseum. We were upgraded about 40 rows this season putting us 22 rows from the field and right off the center of the infield. Boom. Halfway through the 2nd quarter, Ryan treated me to a Pink's foot long hot dog complete with ketchup and mustard. Cheering and clapping, we felt pretty confident after a biffed attempt at a field goal that USC had the game in the bag so we got a head start on the traffic (in case you aren't a crazed freak who stalks ESPN during college football season, USC lost by 1 point with 15 seconds to go). Before joining our friends for a birthday celebration, we stopped off at Chipotle to do our weekly dinner ritual. Bonnie hosted the crew until about midnight when we decided to call it a night.



Now in case you didn't put this all together, I slept in, watched TV, snugged, went to a football tailgate and game, drank beers, ate a hot dog, dined on Chipotle, and spent time with friends all in one day in a low stress environment. I literally could have died Saturday and would have been in ultimate heaven.

I mentioned earlier that we had a slight agenda, and no weekend would be complete if I didn't squeeze something in from the ole bucket list of Whit & Ryan. So we decided to attend church at the LA Cathedral: a modern yet stunning building that attests to the architecture greats. The pastor delivered a delicate yet powerful message, and we thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday community downtown as well as the artistic beauty within the walls of the church.

The rest of Sunday was spent lounging, cooking, packing for Kentucky, eating, and lounging some more. I'm happy to know that we can indeed entertain ourselves and enjoy one another's company...a good sign for when we are old, gray, and unable to go-go-go!

No comments:

Post a Comment