Friday, October 1, 2010

The Detouring Moment

Due to an increase in unruly traffic on my glorious 35 mile drive to work, I have been forced to take a detour in order to maintain my sanity and make it to work at a somewhat reasonable time. By reasonable, I mean only 25 minutes late as opposed to an hour late.

This specific detour was gifted to me via Kate as she ran into a similar scenario when coming from La Canada one morning. It requires less highway and more city driving which clearly means more stop lights, slower speed limits, and a better chance for me to run into massively unskilled drivers.

For the first few detours, I mumbled a few choice words under my breath. My patience seemed to be running pretty thin. But as the days pass by, I realize that the serene drive along the PCH is far more soothing than the 405. So I decided to embrace my morning adventure rather than fret about the inconvenience.

For the past two mornings, I have enjoyed watching the waves crash against the shoreline. I see the sun peaking up over the far off yachts cruising the Pacific. I notice the early am surfers wading in the water, just waiting for that perfect break. Neighbors jog on the path, and dog owners play frisbee with their pets.

I realized that I might not have many of these amazing beach setting escapades left (in case you didn't know, San Fran is not beach friendly) so taking advantage of these little moments actually brings me peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment