Saturday, August 7, 2010

34 & Counting

Today marks 34 years of marriage for my parents. Who would've thought two 21 year olds would make it this far (wink, wink!)? But 3 decades, 4 kids, 1 grandbaby, and 3 dogs later, they seem to have it figured out.

I love my parent's story, one straight out of a fairytale book. If I ever get around to it, I'm going to make it into a screenplay. It all started with sports (typical in this family). My dad saw my mom cheering at a basketball game. He whispered to his best friend, David Duke, that he was going to marry that girl. DD laughed at the thought of my dad scoring such a hottie. A few months later, on the 3rd invitation, my mom and dad went on a lunch date. My dad popped the question 6 weeks later. They married after 5 months on August 7, 1976.

I have always admired their passion for one another, from the start and all these years later. The world could stand to learn a few things from couples of this generation. They made it simple. They fell in love and got married. There were no excuses; no perfect timing; no hesitations. They just knew.

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment