Friday, July 30, 2010

An Angel's Last Precious Moment


Sunday will mark the one year anniversary of my Mama Comley's passing. It seems hard to believe that a year has passed. Looking back, I was dealing with a flurry of emotions. Joy from Bishop's birth, grieving still from Papa's passing, confusion in terms of God's plan for me, anxiety towards the prospect of a new relationshop, and anger for what I knew was coming.


I remember gathering for our family dinner and seeing the look in my mom's eye. Holding back tears, she was muttering the difficult words. I knew this was the end for M.C. I spent the whole night at the hopsital with my mom and grandma. We watched as she tossed and turned in pain. The medicine not able to calm her or ease the physical strain she felt. Her mind still sharp as a tack though.

Perhaps the most 'hard to swallow' part was when we asked her, "Mama, what do you want?" as she bellowed in pain. Her response, I recall plain as day, "To die. I want to just die." Chills filled the room. I unexpectedly yelled, " No!"

I also vividly remember the following evening, late, when we all gathered as the priest gave her a final blessing as she ascended to Heaven. The pain on my mom's face was all too much to bare. They shared an amazing love between mother and child.

We have completed our rounds of firsts without (i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day) Mama Comley. While they have not been easy, they have allowed us to continually reflect on the true angel on earth that she was to each of us.

Here's to you M.C. Thank you for watching over us all! We miss and love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment