Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Poker Face

So my research this week has been on laughter and friendship. It, honestly, could not have come at a better time. With my sulky Monday behind me, I was determined to get past my pitty party. It's a good thing Rinzzers came home.

For nearly the entire year of 2009, we had been inseparable. I didn't have time to date boys because she was, as we say, my hetero-life partner. We traveled together. We cooked together. We walked together. We laughed together. We cried together. We talked for endless hours together.

This all carried on until about two months ago when she took a little trip to Costa Rica. Due to family circumstances, I didn't get to say a proper goodbye. Looking back, I believe that it was better that way. I am not so good at goodbyes, and it felt more like a break-up.

I have missed her terribly since she left. There is a certain joy to my life that has been void without her here. It has felt like losing your best friend, your significant other, your counselor, and your conscious all in one fell swoop.

I had waited for her return for what felt like ages (she chuckles at this because its only been 2 1/2 months, not 5 years). As I pulled into the airport terminal, I nearly hit her as she ran to hug me. Throwing the car in park, we hugged, jumped up and down, cried, and hugged some more. No doubt everyone thought we were lesbian lovers.

And as we drove into PB, I realized that we hadn't skipped a beat. Both talking a mile a minute, laughing hysterically, being overdramatic in our story telling. Then calmly listening to each other's intense life moments and current fears and advising one another on how to handle them and offering our support.

Although she will be leaving me again on Monday and I will no doubt we sad about it, I do not fear our friendship ending. I have made a friend for a life time. And for that, I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment