Friday, September 10, 2010

Traveling Thoughts

The traveling portion of my trip to NOLA has been rather temulchuous so far. I managed to create a disaster at home thanks to my natural yet unintentional ability to self-destruct. My aisle seat was less than appealing upon my Air Tran flight to the ATL. My chosen seat had a few drawbacks- minimal room underneath the seat for my purse causing incredible discomfort for my legs, a pesky row mate who while I slept took it upon herself to spill some type of goo on my pants, and a mini-space between the pull down tray and the seat in front of me crippling my normal habitual sleep plan.

After a 4 hour catnap, I found myself in the quiet Atlanta airport with nothing but time. I slowly ventured to my gate to sit, ponder my life, complete some lessons in my Spanish book, and read my new hiking adventure book. Plopping my bags down, I noticed the congregation of workers nearby sharing their morning gossip. And right then and there at 6am, the housekeeper vacuuming belted out “laid back, sipping on gin and juice, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.” Wow so that’s how they roll in the dirty south these days.

And things only proceeded to get worse. As the lone soldier at my gate, a sea of open chairs filled the area, but it would only make sense to come sit right behind me. Oh yes a very loud, obnoxious group of women (adult aged) come thundering through doing cart wheels and speaking about 200 decibels too high for the early am. The ring leader was just piercing my ear drums with her Latino accent and absurd comments about MySpace (honestly who has MySpace anymore?) and other nonsense topics.

An hour and a half later, feeling like my head might explode from the commotion behind me; I graced the airport halls with my presence. Landing in Seattle’s Best Coffee, I treated myself to a small mocha and chocolate croissant. All is right in the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment